I suggest you ...

Nested symbols - This needs to be addressed

The problem: "i have to detach all symbols because all of those are almost like bitmaps in Avocode. Devs have to open symbols nested inside the parent symbol nested inside another parent symbol etc. so it’s not an option. When symbol is detached a lot of overrides are gone so i need to bring all of those back manually and it’s very frustrating.

Sketch team responded with - "Unfortunately there's no way to do so. Overrides are strictly a part of Symbols. I can only recommend you to change to 'bridge-the-gap' tool to e.g. Zeplin, which does not require to go through nested elements and whole layout is visible from the very top level view."

Any thoughts?

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminAvocode Team (Team, Source) responded  · 

We can see that this is a problem for workflows with large numbers of symbols used. We’ll be improving the experience to be more seamless – so you won’t need to open symbols in order to inspect them.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Please consider how you would make it easier for developers to extract styles out of nested symbols in sketch, which is where we're moving to. The proliferation of nested symbols (like on https://www.uxpower.tools/) makes the designer's job easier and more maintainable by having multiple "CSS class" like attributes that can be stacked and applied to generate different components.

However, the Avocode double-clicking workflow to access a symbol's nested symbol (and it could be nested 8 levels deep in some cases) would likely be a nightmare for the dev. Can Avocode provide an option to "flatten" or detach all symbols on an artboard prior to uploading, while not messing with the original sketch file? Maybe just a checkbox would do the trick. If not, the designer has to duplicate and flatten the artboard manually and that's also a pain.

Feedback and Knowledge Base